Every home is different with a history all its own. Nevertheless, there are some common issues that homeowners come across. These often frustrate as much as they sometimes can be amusing. Nevertheless, solutions must be found.
Here are 4 tips for fixing common issues in the home.
Solving Retaining Wall Drainage
Retaining walls usually do their job by holding back soil and performing minor miracles with water drainage too. Yet, sometimes, even with the best landscaping plans, it doesn’t work out quite as expected.
Fixing the drainage is more important than any other task. Any excess of rainwater that isn’t draining away successfully will prevent plants from growing successfully, create standing water, and potentially could damage the wall’s foundation too.
Redoing the drainage and repairing the wall is often necessary. Get some useful tips on retaining wall fixes from kglandscape.com
Fixing a Dirty Bathroom Tiles
Bathroom tiles don’t clean themselves. We’re sorry to tell you, but that’s the truth!
If they’ve not been meticulously cleaned, and we mean right down to the grout between the tiles, then there’s plenty of assorted gunk built up in the crevices where the grout has worn away.
Give yourself an afternoon to spend doing a cleaning job on the tiles. It’s not an especially mucky or difficult job, but you’ll go through plenty of white vinegar and water solution. A wire brush is useful to get most of it up, as long as the bristles aren’t so coarse that they’ll bring up the grout with it.
Alternatively, a few old toothbrushes ready to throw away make good implements for the tricky spots.
Spare Bedroom Used for Junk Storage. Guests Coming Soon!
The spare guest bedroom may not have seen any guests for a while. Then the in-laws announce that they’re planning to visit and the bedroom is full of junk storage right now. Eek!
It’s time to do the following:
- Make an initial sweep to declutter obvious things that can be relocated, sold off, or donated.
- Remove large items to the garage or a rented storage unit for a few days.
- For small items that fit on a shelf, consider adding a bookshelf to get them off the tabletops or the carpet and stored in an organized manner.
- Take advantage of any free space under the bed frame by adding storage baskets or bins to keep items in (they’ll probably never even notice that they’re there).
- Clear out the closet space. Donate old clothes that will never be worn again (or haven’t for at least a year).
- Clean the comforter, covers, and pillowcases to make them clean and inviting.
- Air out the room. Avoid excessively using air freshener unless it’s really needed.
Faulty Wiring Problems
When appliances and other electrical equipment keep blowing fuses, then there’s likely something wrong with the electrical system. For older homes, it’s most certainly a sign that the electrical wiring needs to be replaced.
Don’t try to deal with this yourself. Get the electrical system thoroughly inspected by a certified electrician. Then get a quote for what work is necessary.
Resolving common problems in the home is often a case of getting stuck into them and knocking them out. While not every home problem should be done yourself, most usually can be.